3 very overripe small bananas or 2 larger ones, mashed
3 large eggs, room temperature
¼ cup raw honey
¼ cup full-fat coconut milk, room temperature (blend first if separated)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup coconut flour, sifted
2 Tbsp arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
6 Tbsp raw cacao powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a medium-sized loaf pan (8” x 4”) with parchment paper.
2. Gently whisk together all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a mixing bowl. Be sure to sift the coconut flour and cacao powder prior to mixing, since they can be lumpy.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas with the eggs, coconut milk, honey, and vanilla. Wet ingredients should be as close to room temperature as possible before starting.
4. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a spatula or wooden spoon – batter should not be vigorously mixed or over blended since this interferes with the bread rising. Batter should be relatively thick and lumpy once combined.
5. Stir in about 1/3 cup of chocolate chips, then transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean of batter (melted chocolate is okay). Allow the loaf to cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then carefully transfer to a wire rack, holding two sides of the parchment paper to help you remove it from the pan. Allow bread to cool completely to room temperature before slicing.
7. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Inspired by Paleo Running Momma